Monday, March 29, 2010

Spring Break

We had a marvelous time during spring break this year. We didn't go anywhere like we did last year, but we still had fun. I took lots of pictures, but I am going to have to upload those onto the blog later. For some reason, my computer isn't showing me any pictures. I've tried to upload 2 on here and they just aren't showing up. I don't know what is wrong. It could be Mozilla, or Blogger. I don't know. I'll tell you about spring break and you can see the pictures later.

The first day was kinda boring. We had some errands to run, so we did that. Andrew mowed the lawn and I worked with Rachael on learning to drive a standard. It wasn't very successful. She stalled a lot and was kinda freaked out.

On Tuesday, it rained all day. We stayed inside and watched movies and just hung out. The rain slowed down in the afternoon so I took Rachael to drive more. She did a lot better this second day. Unfortunately, we didn't get any more practice in that week, so she still needs to work on it more. Part of why we didn't get to practice is because we discovered her license was expired. It had expired back in October. I thought they were good for a year from the time you get it, but it was only 6 months. OOPS!!! She has been driving with an expired license for 5 months. Stan was able to take her in and get it renewed on Thursday, so that is taken care of now. It is good until her 18th birthday, then it will be good for a few years.

By Wednesday, the rain was gone and the sun was shining. It was beautiful. We went to Zilker Botanical Gardens. We spent about 3 hours just walking around. I look just over 100 pictures. Some of them turned out sooooo good. I can't wait to post them on here once my computer lets me. The Hess's went with us. It was a lot of fun and everything was so pretty. It will be even better in a few weeks when all the flowers are actually blooming. Everything was green, but there wasn't very many flowers out.

On Thursday, we went to the Nature Center. They have a bunch of animals there, like a mini zoo. Most of the animals were wild animals that had been kept as pets, or injured animals. They can no longer live in the wild either because of their injuries or their lack of ability to take care of themselves because of living with people. We got some good hiking in. There is a little stream that connects 2 small ponds at the nature center. The kids all took their shoes off and went wading through the water. Andrew and Jeremy ended up being soaking wet. Rachael also managed to lock her keys in the car there. It's a good thing we got a copy of her key for me or her dad would have had to come down to open the car. Andy and Rachael then went to help Ammon with his Eagle project. They had to work really hard cleaning up a bunch of tires that were buried under a play area. They fixed some benches too. They came home exhausted.

On Friday, we went roller skating. There is a new roller rink open in Manchaca. I hadn't been roller skating in years. I was surprised how much my legs hurt while I was skating. We skated for about a hour. It was good exercise. I didn't take any photos of skating because the rink was pretty dark. I didn't think they would turn out between the lack of light and the movement of the subjects. Jeremy didn't quite get the hang of skating though. He couldn't seem to move his feet properly. Andrew didn't want to go at first, but he was the one that didn't want to leave. He is also the one that has asked many times when we are going back. Jeremy has to skate for 3 hours before he can get his roller skating belt loop anyway. This means we will probably go at least 2 more times over the next few months. After we got done skating, we went to this little frozen custard place called Licketty's. It was yummy. The Davis's were suppose to meet us at the rink, but they got held up at the allergist office, so we went over there to hang out for a little while.

Saturday turned out to be very cold and wet. We had planned to go out shooting at Cannaday's ranch Saturday morning. We decided not to wimp out, but I wish we would have. It was really windy and the temperature was only 36 degrees. The low for the day was suppose to be 45. Boy were they wrong. It was so hard to believe it was so nice the entire week then it was like the middle of winter again. I shot Stan's new .22 hand gun about 8 times then I went back to the car to warm up. Jeremy came with us, but he never shot any of the guns. It was just too cold for his skinny little body. He stayed in the car the entire time. Now, we need to go out again when the weather is nice so we can do some real shooting and not be rushed to avoid freezing.

I'll try to post pictures tomorrow and hope it works. I also need to download my camera and post about the mini vacation Stan and I took in Wimberly at a bed and breakfast. Stay tuned!

No comments: