Sunday, January 2, 2022

Southside Market BBQ

 Southside Market BBQ is a BBQ restaurant in the central Texas area, with locations in Elgin, Bastrop, and Hutto, which are all small towns not far from Austin.  I believe they originated in Elgin.  Their sausages can be purchased in most of the HEB grocery stores in Austin and surrounding areas.

Parking - There is a lot of accessible parking and it is all right in front of the door.  In addition to the accessible parking, there is just a lot of parking in general.  I find this helpful to know also.  Since I have a wheelchair ramp, when I can't get a van-accessible parking spot, a nice big parking lot means I can park away from the main parking area so I can take up 2 spots so I have room to deploy my ramp.  People are less likely to be enraged by someone taking up 2 spots if they are doing it in a far-off spot.

Once inside, you get in line to order your food.  The line is made by the rope barricades to form a queue.  I frequently have trouble moving through those ropes because there usually isn't enough room, but not here.  There is plenty of room between the ropes to move through easily in a wheelchair all the way until I'm to the front of the line.  Once you order and they get your food together, you have to carry it on a tray into the dining room.  I had my husband with me, so he carried our tray.  Had I been alone, the tray was small enough it would have fit on my lap, even with my short legs, or I'm sure a staff member would have helped me to the table with the tray. 

Dining room: I was a bit nervous when I first went into the dining room.  The tables are picnic-style tables.  The first ones you come across have benches at them, with inadequate room at the ends for a wheelchair,  A wheelchair would block the aisle and access to the other tables.  However,  a few of the tables farther into the dining room had chairs at them rather than benches.  Drinks were self-serve fountain drinks.  The fountains were not too high and everything was within reaching distance.  The BBQ sauce was right on the table, so it was right within reach.

Bathrooms: The bathrooms were great.  I frequently have problems in bathrooms that the soap or the paper towels are difficult to reach, so there is a baby changer in the accessible stall.  This bathroom had none of that.  The accessible stall was nice and big and didn't have a baby changer in it.  The soap dispenser was easily reachable as were the paper towels.

Southside Market BBQ was one of the most accessible restaurants we have been to.  There wasn't a single thing I had difficulty with during our dinner there.  I could have easily eaten there by myself without any problems at all.  I wish more establishments were like this.


No comments: