Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spring Break

I am still trying to recover from spring break last week.  We had so much fun.  Monday was spent just running errands.  Tuesday, we went to the zoo in San  Antonio.  I think the entire city of San Antonio was there.  It was a mad house.  I thought we were going to have to park a  long ways away, but I lucked out and there was a special parking area for handicapped.  I guess MS has a few advantages (they aren't usually worth the disadvantages though).  At least when the zoo is busy you don't  have to stand in long lines to get on rides.   We were able to see all the animals we wanted to for the most part.  They have this new indoor area for the African section of the zoo.  The hippos are outside, but there is a big window so you can see them under water.  We couldn't get around to some of the windows to see some of the smaller African animals.  The big ones were outside though and they were the ones the kids wanted to see.  We took  lots of pictures of the snakes since Andrew and Jessica (my niece) are obsessed with snakes.  They both own Ball Pythons.  My favorite part of the zoo was the big cats, especially the tigers.  I was able to get a good photo of the sleeping tiger thanks to my 300mm lens.  The weather that day was wonderful.  It was a little cool and overcast at the beginning of the day, but it ended up really nice but not too hot.  After the zoo, we went to the temple to exchange Jeremy's scriptures.  We have had them for 4 months and a page came out.  Then we stopped at IHOP and they came home.  We were all pretty tired, but it was great fun. It would have been much better though if Stan could have gone with us.  There were already several people off at work so he couldn't get any time off during spring break.  Usually, since we homeschool, spring break doesn't matter much, but with Rachael taking classes at ACC, she has class every day except Friday and Jeremy has OT on Friday.

Wednesday we all slept in, then I did some sewing while the boys just watched TV.  Rachael took a master class from the modern teacher at Tapestry during  spring break, so she went to dance.  After I got some sewing done (I was hired to make some curtains and they were the BIGGEST pain in the world), then I took the boys bowling.  I watched them bowl.  I used to love to bowl, but since I have chronic back pain, I just can't handle bowling any more.  I tried with the cub scouts 2 years ago and I had to have one of the other moms take over for me after only 3 frames.  Anyway, Andrew got a gutter ball his first roll, so he asked to have the bumpers up.  He decided in the second game that he should probably man up and bowl like an adult.  Needless to say, Andrew won the first game and Jeremy won the second.  That's ok, because we had fun.  The kids had mutual on Wednesday evening, so I worked on the curtains some more.

Thursday was quiet around the house.  Andrew spent the night with Ryan and Rachael was at dance, so it was just Jeremy and I.  In the afternoon, we went to see Rachael dance showing off what she learned in her master class.  It was pretty cool, but kinda strange compared to what she usually does.  She loved the class though.  She hasn't been able to take the modern class because she teaches a little kids class during the modern class.  This teacher is doing her senior solo though, so she does get to learn from her and she loves her technique and her style.

Friday we had OT and spent the rest of the day cleaning so we could have Jeremy's birthday party on Saturday.  His birthday was actually in January, but he wanted to have a party that needed to be outdoors, so we had it in March.  We had a Nerf war in the back yard.  It was so much fun and it was so easy.  I put out a few snacks and we had lots of ammo and Nerf guns and it was a total free for all.  They played Nerf war for about 2 hours and then the Hess's stayed and played for a long time after.  I highly recommend this party for any little boys

Now life is back to normal.  The curtains are done, school is back in session and things are calm.  I have to say that I will never do curtains like that again and I now see why people charge so much for custom curtains.  These were curtains for an area that was 8 ft tall and 10 ft wide.  They fabric was very thick and heavy too.  I don't have a single flat area in my entire house, including floor space, to measure and cut curtains that big.  I am actually really surprised they turned out really well.  They are all even and they hang just the way they are suppose to.  Now I can get back to the things I like to make; bags and quilts.  I'm working on a new quilt right now.  I have no idea what I am going to do with this one.  I'm doing a 9 patch and I'm doing it only because I am teaching how to do this kind of quilt at our quilting club at church.  I took the easy way though though and I bought a jelly roll and a charm pack to make the squares of this quilt. I might sell it in my Etsy store, if I can get anything to sell.  I"ve been open 3 weeks and nothing so far.  I need to do something to get the word out and to get people to look at my store.  When I put things in the store, they are buried pages and pages back within 24 hours, so my bags are not the first things to come up when people look at bags.  I'll take any suggestions on getting my name out there if anyone has any.

Everyone have a great week.

No comments: