Friday, December 3, 2021

A Quilter's Folly

 My husband calls A Quilter's Folly my second home, especially prior to the pandemic when I would spend hours and hours there.  I have been a customer there for many, many years, pre-wheelchair.  The staff all know me well. This makes A Quilter's Folly one of the most accessible fabric stores I have ever been in.

Parking:  There is 1 accessible parking spot right in front of the entrance to the store.  It is a van-accessible spot, although the striped area is a bit on the small side.  If you only need parking in close proximity, there is a lot of parking spots in close proximity to the entrance.  When the only accessible spot has been occupied, since I do require the room for my ramp to deploy, I am able to parallel park directly across from the entrance, along the curb.  There are rarely any cars parked there, so I can just pull up along the curb.

The store:  Despite this being a store full of fabric, there is always plenty of room down the isles.  When they rearrange the shelves, the owner always does so with my wheelchair in mind.  The first thing she tells me when I come in after a rearrangement is "tell me if there is something you can't get to."  There are things in the notions area that are out of my reach, but there is always a staff member available to get things down for me.  When I am there to shop, the staff will help me get the fabric bolts off the shelves for me too as they can be difficult for me to manage depending upon my upper body strength.

The Classroom:  A Quilter's Folly offers all kinds of classes, both for sewing and embroidery (although not as many as they did prior to the pandemic.  Hopefully they will start to come back soon).  The classroom area is a bit tight, but when I am signed up for a class, they reserved the spot for me that provides the most room for my chair and set up an ironing board that is accessible for me.

Bathroom:  There is a clear, open path back to the bathroom, which is in the storage area of the store.  The bathroom is large enough that my chair can easily fit in there and rotate 360 degrees.  It is a standard accessible bathroom.

I know some of you may be thinking that this store does all of this because I have been such a long-time customer.  That may be true, but I am sure the owner would do this for anyone.  She was a hospice nurse prior to retiring to run her store full time.  She and her staff would go out of their way to help anyone in need in the store, including making the store more accessible if someone with a different chair style than mine was having a hard time getting around.


No comments: