Wednesday, December 8, 2021

United Access

 United Access is a "car dealership" exclusively for accessible vehicles.  My first accessible van was inherited from my mother-in-law when she passed away.  I was very grateful for that van.  It had some issues though.   The model I had was pre-automatic doors, so it had to be retro-fit with a wire pully that opened my door automatically, then deployed my ramp.  The wire used to snap or come off the pully all the time, necessitating a trip into United Access.  They were always wonderful and got my van in as soon as they could.

I have unfortunately have 2 car accidents since being in a wheelchair, both minor, but requiring body work on my van.  You cannot rent an accessible van from a normal car rental place.  I had to arrange to rent the van from United Access.  Of course, they don't have a rental contract with any insurance companies, but the insurance companies all agreed to pay for the van through United Access.  United Access agreed to take payment directly from the insurance company rather than have me pay for the van, then get reimbursed by the insurance company.  I was very grateful for this since accessible van rental is very expensive.  

I am fortunate to have a United Access location only 30 minutes from my home.  United Access also has other stores like Mobility works.  There may be other, but that is the one I know about.  If there isn't a store in your city, contact them and they can still work with you on purchasing a vehicle and getting it delivered to your location.  

No comments: