Wednesday, May 2, 2018

My Follow-Up with my Neurologist

I want to make sure I keep up with my blog and not neglect it just because I am out of the hospital.  There is still going to be a lot of things going on with my health and my life that I want to journal about.  Maybe people want to read about my life and  maybe not.  Maybe someone will read about my neurological problems and have some clue as to what is happening to me and help me find answers. 

Yesterday I went to my neurologist office and had a nerve conduction study done.  To my surprise, it came back normal.  After my ascending paralysis, I expected it to be abnormal and so did she.  If it had been Guillan-barre or CIDP, the nerves would not have been able to  respond but they responded normally.  The only nerve that didn't was the nerve that  came from my central nervous system down to my feet and back.  They couldn't get any response from that at all.  So I do not have CIDP like the hospital neurologist thought.  My neuro went through the numerous abnormal labs that I had.  Many of them pointed to generic autoimmunity, which we knew I already had.  One of the antibodies can indicate an autoimmune disease called LEMS which I don't have the  symptoms for, but over half of the people with this have small cell lung cancer.  Because of this, I have to have a CT scan of my chest, just to make sure we are not missing anything.  I have no risk factors for small cell lung cancer my doctor doesn't want to take any chances. 

I walked away from the  doctors office rather disappointed.  I think Dr. Westgate was disappointed too that she couldn't figure out what was wrong.  She is sticking with the diagnosis of MS because that fits the best although she admits that I don't really have MS, but some other autoimmune disease that effects the central nervous system.   It can act like MS at times but then also have these episodes of flaccid paralysis (I've had 2 of these) and ascending paralysis, which is the scariest symptom of all.  My doctor can't tell  me if the flaccid paralysis or the ascending paralysis will happen again or not. Over the past week, I have been praying that we will be able to find an answer to what was happening with my body.  Over 10 years ago we went through this limbo process before I found Dr. Westgate.  Then, I had several doctors tell me that my illness was psychological.  No one is telling my that now, but I think that period of time seriously planted some deep fears in me.  I'm so afraid someone is going to tell  me that  my illness is in my head like  they did 10 years ago.  It's obvious it isn't since I don't have reflexes and I  was paralyzed but it has now become a phobia.  I have been praying and reading my scriptures and trying to figure out why I am having to go through this kind of trial.  It's bad enough to have  to go though the trial of the physical illness.  The emotional strain of not having a real diagnosis makes it even worse. Thank goodness all the autoimmune diseases can be treated with IVIG so we will continue my IVIG every 4 weeks.

On a more positive note, I had my 1st weigh in since getting out of the hospital.  I lost 2 pounds since my last weigh in, which was prior to going into the hospital.  It was hard to stay on program in  the hospital.  The menu there was very high in carbs and it  was very difficult to get extra vegetables.  The craziest thing was when I would order my meals, they were always surprised when I didn't want dessert.  You would think hospitals would be an easy place to get healthy food, but really the health care profession doesn't know much about real nutrition past the governments food chart, which is not very healthy.

No comments: