Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Rachael and I went to Austin Community College today to get her registered to take some classes there this fall. They have a program where students can take college classes their last 2 years of high school. They are free of charge also, which is an even better reason to take them. We are in the frustrating paper work phase of getting ready for college. She has to go take her assessment test on Monday to see where she stands over all in her basic knowledge. I am nervous about her taking this test. I hope I have taught her well enough. I worry the most about history and science. We have been working on biology for quite a while. She is planning on being a dance major and just doesn't see the point in doing biology. I understand her thoughts, but still feel she needs to have a basic understanding of biology. I have felt so inadequate about being a homeschool mom at times. That has especially been true since I started having health problems a few years ago. I just recently got to the point where I could keep up with the kids school work. I know she will do fine once she starts classes. She is very smart and knows how to apply herself. She is not used to doing all the studying, yet on the other hand, she has to teach herself so much with her homeschooling. She is good at independent learning. I'm sure every mom goes through this nervous phase as their child transitions into college. I'm sure every mom worries if their child is ready.

Nothing else is really happening. We got about 5 minutes worth of rain the other night. I wanted it to rain a lot more than that. It was suppose to rain every day this week, but all we got was that 5 minutes on Monday. Nothing yesterday or today. We still have a small chance tomorrow. It will probably rain tomorrow because we are planning on going to the water park tomorrow with Emily and her kids. It is just my luck that it will rain then so we can't go. Andrew has a friend spending the night tonight, so it will be a fun thing for them to do besides play video games together. It seems that is all they want to do it play video games. Andrew could live playing video games. Stan is like that too, but he is really good and playing for a few minutes, the stopping to do something constructive. Andrew doesn't pull himself away from the game to do anything.

We finally got to see the new Harry Potter movie last night. It was better than I thought it was going to be. I think there was really only one scene that I could have done without. The Weasley's house never caught on fire in the book. I'm not sure where that scene came from. I would have rather seen the DA fighting the death eaters in the end and left out that scene. Other than that, the movie was really well done. Rachael's friend thought it wasn't dark enough, but I was ok with that. I wouldn't have wanted to take Jeremy had it been any darker. He got bored through part of the movie. It was just a little too long for his attention span. If you haven't seen it yet, it is worth seeing it in the theater.

No comments: