Sunday, July 22, 2018

First weekend of rehab

I transferred from the main hospital over to the rehab hospital Thursday night around 6pm.  I was a bit miffed after I  called the insurance company and they told me on Thursday afternoon that they had only gotten the request for rehab on Wednesday afternoon.  The order for PT eval was written on Sunday afternoon.  It wasn't actually done until Tuesday. 

Friday I had all of my PT/OT evaluations done.  I have a lot of work to do.  My trunk and arms are very weak.  My legs are both paralyzed still.  I can't move from the waist down.  I'm not sure how long I will be here.  Probably at least a week.  I had regular therapy on Saturday.  It was decided I didn't need speech therapy for swallowing issues.  I still have some minor swallowing issues but they believe they are from reflux problems combined with a little bit of swallow dysfunction.  They don't  think they can do much with speech therapy until I get my reflux problems under control.  I have been on  several medications to control it and nothing seems to be working.  It seems to never been under control. I have an appointment with a new ENT who specialized in laryngeal-pharynx reflux.  Maybe he can get to the bottom of the problem.  I am almost wondering if it is time to consider surgery for my reflux.

I also got to take a shower yesterday for the 1st time in 8 days.  I had had sponge baths and used dry shampoo but that just isn't the same thing.  My hair looked so gross before I got into the shower and it felt even worse.  I had to even change my pillow case because it felt grease from my hair.  It was disgusting.  The last time I had washed my hair was when I colored it, so my hair dye got all over the towels.  When I  had my kids, the hospital nurses tease you that you lose all your dignity and you will show your body to anyone after you have a baby.  I argue that rehab is absolutely worse than having a baby.  You have to have so much help getting dressed, moving from the wheelchair  to the bed/chair/shower/toilet, pulling pants/underwear up, etc.  The staff here gets really used to it, so it isn't unusual for someone to be sitting in a wheelchair butt-naked when the staff helps the dry off, get dressed etc.  The "staff" can consist of therapist, therapy assistants, nurses, techs, and just about anyone else.  The only person who hasn't seen me naked while I have been in rehab has been my doctors.  Sorry for the TMI.

Another TMI topic is my catheter.  I was hoping I could get it out when I came over to rehab.  In general, Dr. Latorre doesn't like his  patients to have indwelling catheters in and likes to get them out as quickly as possible.  He did last time.  This time, he isn't rushing it.  Since I can't sit up on the toilet on my own yet and my hands are still weak, Dr. Latorre wants the to get a little bit stronger before he takes the catheter out.  This thing is driving me crazy.  I really want it out.  The plan is to try to take it out on Monday and see how I do without it.  I have to use a catheter on a regular basis anyway but I just drain my bladder and don't leave it in place.  The OT didn't feel like I had the muscle control in my hands to be able to insert the catheter right now so thought I needed to continue to have the indwelling catheter.  She also felt I didn't have the upper body control to sit up on my own to be able to use the I&O catheter.  I've used it laying in bed before, I just have to have extra help since I can't see when the container is full or the catheter stops flowing.

I hope I will  get to start pool therapy tomorrow.  I get so much progress from being in the pool and I don't have to worry so much about my upper body weakness and gravity and falling.  I can actually work on my legs and my core without worrying about falling.  I can do so much in the pool that I can't do any where else.

As much as I hate being in the hospital, I'm glad I don't h ave to be out there in the heat.  Yesterday, Stan and Rachael were here visiting and we went over to the gift shop.  It was 105 outside at 4pm.  The heat index a that time was  108.  We never left the shade so I never felt the full effects of the temperature.  Today,  the actual temperature is  suppose to be 108.  It's 2:55pm right now and it is 104 outside.  It eels like 108-109.  It has been a really, really hot summer.  We have had over 35 days that have been over 100 degrees so far this year.  We haven't even hit August yet.  August is going to be a scorcher.

I want to again thank everyone for the prayers given on my behalf.  Thank-you to those of you who put my name on the prayer roll in the temple.  If you read this blog, let me know.  Leave a comments just to say HI.  I feel like no one is reading this except my dad because he tells me he reads it.

































































































































No comments: