Wednesday, December 5, 2018

First week of Rehab

I haven't posted since I have been in rehab, so I figured I should give everyone an update, if anyone is reading this.  Day one of rehab is just evaluations.  I was hoping I would get my same physical therapist that I had my 1st 2 admissions, but I saw someone from a different floor for my evaluation.  She wasn't going to be my therapist and didn't  know who I would have.  My OT wasn't the same either.  I had a different one in March/April and in July.  I had worked a few times with the  one I got though and  I like her.  My PT, Kelsey, was my second choice if I couldn't get Victoria back.  I know, you probably don't care, but I might want to remember  this later.

Evaluations,Thursday November 29th- I can sit on the side of the bed now but I'm still  a little unsteady.  I can't move my legs but I can wiggle my toes just a tiny bit.  If you blink, you will miss it.  My arms are weak.  I can lift them up to my head but not all the way over my head.  I can transfer from the bed to the chair with the transfer board but it takes a lot of effort and  leaves me exhausted.  PT tried to get me to stand but she had to pull me up most of the way and hold me up the entire 10 seconds so I don't really think that counted much.  She said she could feel a little bit of muscle activation when I did that though, so the potential  is there.

Each day I have gotten a little bit stronger, gotten a little bit of movement back here and there.  I have been sore and tired.  I felt like I have been working out with heavy weights for hours on end rather than just 1# weights and trying to move my own legs.  On Monday, I started pool therapy.  In the pool, it is so much easier to move around and walk. The 1st day in the pool 2 days ago, I walked about 6 feet and I had to rest half way there.  Today, I did 2 laps of 6 feet in the pool before I had to rest.  Yesterday, I walked 8 feet on land with a walker.  My core strength is almost back to normal.  I can tell I still have a little bit of work to do because my abs and obliques are sore after therapy.  All of this therapy has really kicked up my muscle spasms.  At first, the spasms would help activate my muscle movement.  Now that I can get the muscles activated myself, the spasms just make my muscles more fatigued.  Tomorrow, my doctor is going to make adjustments to my baclofen pump to help those spasms.  It is a fine balancing act.  Too much baclofen and my legs get weak, not enough and I have muscle spasms.  For the most part, my dose is spot on and I only have to have it tweaked occasionally.  It was one of the best things I had done.

I am scheduled to go home on December 12th.  I am confident I will  be ready to go home.  I may not be walking very much, but enough that I can stand at the kitchen stove to cook and stand up to get the higher things I need in the kitchen, especially since I will be home alone during the day.  I am a little bit nervous about that part.  I have never been home alone when I first come home from the hospital.  I have always had someone at home to help me.  I am sure that  I will be fine.  I usually didn't  need the help but it was nice to know that Andrew was there if I needed him.

I'll be posting the next part of my weight loss journey soon.

No comments: