Tuesday, April 3, 2018

More transfers and more standing.

The 1st full day I was here, I was asked what my goals were.  I said I wanted to be as independent as possible so I didn't have to rely on my family for my basic needs such as ADLs,  I have always greatly valued my independence.  I am willing to ask people to help me do things so that I can preserve my energy but I don't want to have to have people do the most basic things for me.  I don't want to be pitied or treated like I am weak.  My legs are weak but I am not weak.  I may not be able to make a big family meal, but I want to be able to make my own meals for myself or heat up leftovers.

Next,  I wanted to be able to stand so I can do my weight checks for my Ideal Protein diet.  Being that there is a big gap in this blog, it is not really clear here that I have lost 60 pounds since June 19 and I have 40 more to go.  I need to be able to weight in weekly to monitor my progress.  It's possible to weigh in a wheel chair but it is a pain in the butt.  Worse case scenario I would make an arrangement with Dr. Latorre (my rehab Dr.) to weigh at his office every week or 2.  I would prefer to use the IP scale because it tells body fat and lean body mass but this would only be worse case scenario.  I am well on my way to being able to stand on the scale though.  I have been  able to stand at the parallel bars with lots of extra support.  I can shift my weight side to side.  The strange thing with standing up is that I  can't feel my muscles engaging when I stand.  The staff tells me my legs are doing all the work but I don't have any control over it and I can't feel the muscles doing anything.  There is an exercise bike I use that can tell us when my muscles kick in and when they are just flaccid - it all feels the same to me.  It is very strange.  It is also very strange that there is NO tone in my legs and no muscle spasms.  We are still decreasing the baclofen dose since I don't need it.  Dr. Latorre has cut it in half or more in the 10 days I have been in the hospital

To be independent, I have got to master these transfers and that has been harder than I thought.  I've mastered transferring from the bed to chair and back.  I'm getting pretty fast and it's pretty smooth.  The toilet and the shower are another story.  I think it's managing the clothing.  I won't get into detail because that  is TMI.

Lastly, I will probably get a speech therapy evaluation.  I don't know if anything will come of it but we will see.  Any of you who converse with me regularly know about the problem I have with switching words so things don't always make sense, forgetting words, not being able to say words properly, etc.  I only scored a few points under passing but it qualified me to have an evaluation.  I'll post about it after I have it

No comments: