Monday, April 2, 2018

Some good things happened today

I think I've recovered from being totally overwhelmed on Saturday although I will admit I still haven't mastered betting my pants down, getting to the toilet, doing my business, getting back to the chair and getting my pants up.  That is what started getting me overwhelmed in the 1st place.  It's getting a bit easier but the transfer board just doesn't stay very well on the toilet and it is hard to get your underwear up when you can't stand up.  I have to recline my seat all the way and roll back and forth hiking up each side.  It wears me out.  The staff wants to help me a lot, especially the new tech but it is important that I do as much as I can by myself but then I have to realize that I am still learning how to do all of  this and I still need a lot of help so I need to realize when I need it.  It's a balancing act.

When I worked with physical therapy this afternoon, she had me standing up for 20 minutes.  Now before you get excited I was not standing by myself.  I couldn't even feel my muscles activating while I was standing.  I was in standing frame that pulled me into a standing position then held me there.  After a short break, I was able to do a few minutes of standing at the parallel bars on my own.  The 3rd time, I did feel my muscles engage but it was erratic and out of control.  Regardless, it was muscle engagement and it is a start.

Dr. Latorre decreased my baclofen dosage again.  Still no spasticity.  It still feels really strange to not have spastic legs.

My therapist have a meeting with my doctor tomorrow and they will give me a better idea of how long I need to be here.  My OT was telling me today that she thinks until maybe next weekend so that means no Bluebonnet  shop hop.  I'm bummed.  It was going to be so fun doing that with Delia and Margie.

My diet has really suffered the last 2 days.  I have had a lot of cravings, way more than usual.  I'm sure that means I am no longer in Ketosis.  When I am firmly in  Ketosis, I really don't crave sugary foods at all.  The last 2 days, I have had many, many times when I needed to eat when the only thing available is the food on the unit and there is nothing IP friendly here.  I have had 2 snacks of graham crackers and pudding.  Andrew is picking me up a new weeks worth of IP snacks.  That will help with these between the meal munchies. 
Getting sleepy so I am off to try to sleep.

No comments: