Monday, April 23, 2018

The end is in sight

It has been a really long couple of weeks.  I was 1st admitted to the hospital on March 24th.  I have been in the hospital for 4 weeks and 3 days now.  1 week prior to this admission, I had spend 24 hours in the hospital with chest pain that  turned out not to be cardiac related but the beginning of an asthma exacerbation.  I am scheduled to go home on Friday.  I can't wait.  5 weeks of  being in the hospital is a really long time.  It's my new hospitalization record.  I hope it stands for a long time.

Over the weekend, it seems like my strength increased a lot.  On Friday I started being able to stand from my wheel chair and then pivoting over to the toilet.  It was pretty challenging at first, but it is pretty easy now.  It seems a little silly that the staff has to supervise me since they just watch to make sure I am ok.  I couldn't really take any steps on Friday on land or in the pool but today I was able to walk about 20 feet both within the  parallel bars and with a walker. 

Tomorrow my PT and  OT will  have a meeting with my rehab doctor to discuss my progress.  They are going to recommend that I be allowed to be independent in my room for all of my activities in preparation for discharge on Friday.  This week we are going to continue to work on arm and hand strength by working on my quilt block, leg strength and flexibility, core strength, fine motor skills and lots more.  When I go home, I will have Rehab without Walls which will come to my house for a few months to do therapy and continue working on all of these things.

I'm sure everyone is tired of  hearing about the hospital so I can start writing  about other things.  I also plan on starting to write some of my like history in this blog.  I have a booklet with life history prompts and I plan on  using those prompts as my post title and then my entire post with center around that prompt.  Maybe one of these days I can just make my blog into a book with some minor editing.

No comments: