Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Rocked Transfers, Added Pool time

I can honestly say that I ROCKED transfers today.  I did most of my transfers today without the use of  the slide board.  I did what is called a squat pivot transfer.  We started doing that yesterday in the bathroom after struggling with the slide board and pinching the inside of my leg, causing a big blood blister.  It hurt so bad.  Also the slide board fell into the toilet.  That  is what made the decide they needed to figure something else out for the bathroom.  Now, my legs have gotten strong enough that I can pull up with the bar, stand for 30 seconds or so to pull my pants down, then sit back down, then stand and pivot over to the toilet.  I repeat this process on my way back, with a rest stop in between.  I can do all of my transfers pretty much by myself with just a little bit of supervision.

This morning, we started some therapy in the pool. I couldn't walk or swim from station to station so she had to carry me which felt strange.  Once I was there, I was able to do more in the water than I  could in the gym.

I also had a more extensive speech and memory evaluation.  I did fine on the evaluation.  As I explained the problems I have with my speech, such as replacing words in conversation, forgetting the names of objects and people.  Those are the biggest.  Of course, those couldn't be replicated in the evaluation.  Those are usually things that come up in higher stress situations.  She just showed me pictured and asked me to  identify them.  I had no problems with that.  She also did a longer version of the memory test and I did poorly on that again.  We decided not to pursue speech therapy here because it will detract from the other therapy I need.  I get 3 hours a day of therapy no mater what kind of therapy it is.  Once I get a little more mobility back and I am not needing such intensive PT, I may look into speech therapy a little more.

The nurse just gave me a sleeping pill that Dr. Latore insisted I take while I am in the hospital and I am having trouble staying awake.  I really need to post around dinner rather than at 9pm

No comments: